It was thus said that the Great Philipp Janda once stated:
> Am 24.11.18 um 03:36 schröbte Sean Conner:
> >It was thus said that the Great Philipp Janda once stated:
> >>Am 23.11.18 um 06:47 schröbte Sean Conner:
> >>>

> Well, the C standard does (un-)define it for an entire program (the set
> of translation units and libraries). You are the one who wants to have
> certain parts of those libraries excluded from the entire program based
> on a linking order.

  I'm not alone in this, Dirk Laurie (who started this thread) mentioned a
techique originally given by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo (one of the
maintainers of Lua).  So I feel like I'm in good company here.

> >I know that the C tool
> >chains I've used over the years have all defaulted to "seach each library,
> >in order specified on the command line" which seems a reasonable thing to
> >do.
>
> This order is actually required by POSIX[88], so most UNIX compilers
> will behave this way. One exception is apparently clang[89]. But,
> AFAICS, unfortunately even POSIX does not define whether multiple
> definitions are allowed or not.

>   [88]: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/c99.html#tag_20_11_04
>   [89]: https://lld.llvm.org/NewLLD.html#key-concepts

  Thank you for the references.

  -spc (Who will readily admit to writing C code assuming it will run on
	byte-oriented, 2's complement machines ... )