On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great Glenn Travis once stated:
>> No Sir, nothing like that.  I have run afoul of the permissions error
>> before so I understand what you are saying.  They were just not there, and
>> when I do see them, I know that I have to go the sudo route.
>
>   Interesting.  I have two Macs I use (one personal, one for work).  On my
> personal one, "/usr/local" is owned by root, so I would get an error trying
> to install Lua.  On the work Mac, however, "/usr/local" is owned by me
> (except for "/usr/local/man" for some reason).  The only thing I can think
> of is that I have used homebrew on the work Mac, but not on my personal Mac
> (I really don't do development on the home Mac).
>
>   But I suspect that "/usr/local" is owned by you (the non-root account you
> use).
>
>   -spc

It should be noted that npm (at least used to) include advice to chown
/usr/local to yourself, and a design flaw in the current prerelease
version will actually forcefully perform the chowning. So if you've
ever worked with that ecosystem, this might explain some of the
difference.

Homebrew makes similar advice.

Both packages really ought to advise changing the destination and
adding it to your PATH...

/s/ Adam