On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Paige DePol <lual@serfnet.org> wrote:
> Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the top post.
>>
>> No offense Paige, but I will lean towards a standardized term, used by a
>> university professor on a university project website over a rather airey
>> social media definition of a term that grew from a git slang. I have many
>> forks on my github site. I do not have any software derivatives though.
>
> You might want to read the rest of the posts that have occurred since
> the one you quoted in your reply! ;)
>
> The term "fork" has been around a lot longer than Git by the way, and in a
> later post Luiz stated that he meant "incompatible derivative" specifically
> when he used the term "fork", which is not really the standard meaning.
>
> If you have forked repositories on GitHub, and then made modifications to
> that forked code, is that not then a derivative of the original code?
>
> Finally, university professors are human and can make mistakes, they are
> not infallible by any means.
>
> ~Paige

The mistake is to introduce the term fork where a standard definition
has existed for a very long time.  Mr. Henrique de Figueiredo mistake
was to apologize where he was correct. Soni has used a slang term -
not a definition - for software derivative. Mr.  Henrique de
Figueiredo pointed to the standardized definition for software
derivatives when referencing Lua.

Russ