On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:29 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Martin <eden_martin_fuhrspam@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Why not add MD5 at least for historically reasons?
[...]
> https://github.com/kikito/md5.lua
>
> fwiw
> Russ

Hi Martin and Russ,  I have added an MD5 implementation. I wrote it
from the RFC 1321 reference in Lua 5.3 instead of reusing code because
(1) it is fun (your definition of fun may vary)
(2) Lua 5.3, with its 64-bit integers, bit operators and string
pack/unpack allows to reduce a bit the gap with C implementations.

eg. on a i5 2.27 GHz laptop, this md5 hashes a 10-megabyte string in
approx. 4 seconds.  Hurrah for Lua 5.3!!

Phil