On Ср 22.02.17 22:13, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
It seems from the majority of responses so far that JIT is not
essential for Lua, or putting it another way, a majority of use cases
can be satisfied without a JIT.

A natural follow on question is can the interpreter be made faster
without resorting to hand-written assembly code or other esoteric
optimisations?

Big Yes. When I switched from plain Lua to LuaJIT I was very happy with the speedup. I didn't run the numbers, but it felt like 10x increase in speed. Then I found out that mobdebug.lua was disabling JIT, so all this speedup was from faster interpreter. Speedup from enabling JIT wasn't nearly as big. This speedup probably comes from faster table access, but I don't know how LuaJIT achieves it.

What I also love about LuaJIT is that it's the golden standard of Lua in terms of language design. Lua 5.3 has suffered a huge degradation in that area due to its combined int64/double type.

Best regards,
Sergey "GrayFace" Rozhenko,                 mailto:sergroj@mail.ru