Quoting Kevin Pitstick (2016-11-08 15:21:09)
> Generally I find the mailing list format to be sufficient to keep up with
> current messages; however, it can feel inadequate when I want to search or
> browse older messages from before I was subscribed to the mailing list.

“Browsing” is often a misused word, and people usually mean “search
for something”. Both functionalities (browsing and searching) are
provided at the mailing list archives webpage:

	http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/

If you want to search _and_ have your received copy of emails from the
mailing list sorted out nicely, just choose a mail client that allows
you to do that easily — personally I'm a fan of Notmuch's [1] full text
indexed search, plus each mailing list using a different tag, and I do
not even have it display many mailing list in the inbox depending on
their tags.

> If there were an interest in adopting a forum, I would highly recommend
> keeping the mailing list and setting up a forum that mirrors it. Users can
> post to either the mailing list or the forum, and the message is mirrored
> on the other. A great example of this in action is the OpenSceneGraph forum
> (http://forum.openscenegraph.org/).

That would be fine, I guess.

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I cant think of any arguments against a message board format,
> > > apart from it would take some time and effort to set this up.
> > > I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions about this
> > > and why it hasnt already happened ? Am I in the minority with this
> > > point of view ?
> >
> > This is a question of personal preference. Have you counted the
> > number of times your message contains the pronoun "I"?

Indeed. Mail clients are also a personal preference — but it is a fact
that some may be better than others at handling bigger amounts of mail
and allowing to sorting it out meaningfully :-)

> > By all means set up a bulletin board. And a chat room. And
> > a blog with user interaction. Then everybody can use whatever
> > they like.
> >
> > Just don't close down lua-l.

The mailing list has been a fine communication form for almost two
decades. “If it's not wrong, don't change it”, I'd say.

Cheers,

--
 ☛ Adrián

[1] https://notmuchmail.org/