> I would be appalled if somehow "don't use locals in examples because
> it confuses REPL users" became a recommendation. To me that's an
> anti-pattern.

You do as you like, I do as I like. That's called "freedom" in some
social systems.

I try to make it a habit (OK, you will find counterexamples) to post
only code that I have actually tried. I.e. my "-->" comments would
normally be cut-and-pasted from a `lua` session.

<alert> I won't be not repeating this alert. Any code I post here is
a "serving suggestion" and should not be cut-and-pasted as-is
into someone else's module.
</alert>