On May 5, 2013, at 6:31 PM, Coda Highland wrote:

> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Owen Shepherd <owen.shepherd@e43.eu> writes:
>>> They're moving away from GCC for the same reason the BSDs are: they don't
>>> like the GPL3 and refuse to touch it with a barge pole
>>
>> Apple has been butthurt about the GPL for _ages_, long predating the
>> GPL3... if you remember, NeXT was forced to release their objective C
>> changes, and they were _not_ happy about it.

They also shipped without bash originally.

> But the GPLv3 in particular is problematic for a company like Apple,
> because while GPLv2 stuff can be used on an iPhone as long as Apple
> distributes source, GPLv3 stuff cannot.

No, Apple certainly *can* distribute GPLv3-licensed code on any platform. They have decided they don't like the terms offered. I could buy another iOS device, but I have decided I don't like the terms offered either.

I have no pity for Apple; locking out the AIR static compiler and then lying about it was the last straw for iOS for me.

Jay
--
Sent from my Mac