On 6 July 2012 15:16, Owen Shepherd <owen.shepherd@e43.eu> wrote:
> Requiring such support
> is unlikely to be popular; the ICU core library is, compiled, 1MB in size*;
> but this is dwarfed by the data tables it requires, which are 17MB. Being as
> the Lua library weighs in at just 215kB, I think most people here would
> object to such a large size increase.

The slnunicode library [1], which provides Unicode-enabled versions of
string.* functions, totals to ~60KB when compiled. I'm not sure
whether it covers the whole set of Unicode characters (most probably
not), but it does cover what a "basic user" would require (i.e. match
and gsub on UTF-8 strings, with extended character classes).

[1] http://files.luaforge.net/releases/sln/slnunicode