If you're on windows, you may try ZeroBraneStudio
(https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio); it provides "Analyze"
function that is based on lua-inspect and metalua. I've implemented my
own AST walker to extend reporting provided by lua-inspect, but also
to make it a bit less verbose. Part of the processing has been
disabled as it gets really slow on large source files; this means
"required" scripts are not loaded, which may impact how global values
are reported.

Grab the latest version from github (git clone
https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio.git) and run
zbstudio.exe. Then go to "Program | Analyze". The actual walker is in
https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio/blob/master/src/editor/inspect.lua
and you can see what warnings are reported (M.show_warnings).

Paul.