Thanks for your replies.

>Perhaps I'm missing something about your
>question. Could you please give a concrete
>example of the kind of answer you'd like to see?

For the most part, your replies have already answered my question.

But I will narrow it down further:

Could you please give me a brief overview of what libraries/bindings are already available to access what OSes? (Especially direct support of filesystem management, so as to avoid resorting to system calls).
This was pretty much the core of my question. Sorry for not making it clear in the first post.