Jo... I just made a reference manual for Lua OS 0.4 that might answer
these questions: http://luaos.net/docs/safelua-api.html

I am going for a very simple message format here. Each message has a
recipient, a command (string) and some data (a Lua table without
anything irregular like functions, userdata or recursion).

This should allow you to do whatever you want... :o)

Stefan

PS: BeOS was nice (I totally loved it back in the day), but it's
probably a completely different beast as it's C++-based (if I remember
correctly) and not script-centric.

We really have something new here: a completely script language-based
OS is a whole new thing in terms of how you program for the system.