steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> writes:
> [1] In the Awk FAQ, the answer to 'Why not just use Perl?' is (a) Awk
> is somewhat smaller and (b) you don't have to use $ for variables ;)

I suppose when he originally wrote perl, Larry Wall probably imagined it
would basically be kinda like /bin/sh with some awk added, but in
retrospect it's clear he really should have made it more like awk with
some /bin/sh added (as that's how people use it in reality)....

-Miles

--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products