I too found LPEG mysterious at first.  It took a lot of playing around
with it before it really made sense.  The thing that confused me the
most was the V grammar rule function, but in the end I was over
thinking it.  For someone who is not familiar with PEG and string
matching, the terminology looks really obscure.  What I would suggest
is trying some really simple patterns without going in to grammars
until you feel more comfortable with LPEG.  Try something dead simple
like matching patterns with 1 character, then 2 characters, then
generating a search in a larger string for those patterns.  I think
this will help give you a taste of what LPEG is all about.

>From my experience, it's well worth investing the time to learn
something like LPEG.  Once you get it, you can't go back :)

wes