FWIW, I wrote a small wrapper around the libev library that allows you
to do event loop based programming.  libev supports epoll, so if you
wanted to write your entire webserver with lua, you could grab my
lua-ev wrapper here:

http://github.com/brimworks/lua-ev

There is also the Kepler project which has Copas:

http://www.keplerproject.org/copas/

That is a similar thing.

Cheers,
-Brian