Matthias Kluwe <mkluwe <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Lua may be not the best utility for number theory, but this is just some
> kind of playground thing (like it would being asked on a PostScript
> list...).

Your example clearly shows some of the nice language features, but wouldn't
it make more sense to pick an application where Lua actually beats the
competition? This implementation is probably slower than something I can
whip up in an elegant (compiled) functional language that would also impress
an adience of mathematicians.

In Lua you can easily leverage the processing power of C (e.g. GMP) and beat
the pants off many other high-level languages while being dynamic. You could
not even mention that specifically and simply use LGMP and show some
benchmarks.

Just my two cents.

Niels