Miles Bader wrote:
KHMan <...> writes:
Or, put it like this: I think we cannot download the package without
going to that page.

You can certainly download it without reading the page:

   http://crd.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/qd-2.3.7.tar.gz

:-) Sorry, obviously I meant that the author(s) might have intended that people getting the package would see and read and understand the contents of the web page. And some people might assume that visitors will land on the web page via a search. It's a faulty assumption, but not unreasonable.

Of course, there are many ways of circumventing that, but from a paranoid layman's point of view, it would be unwise to dismiss the contents of the web page just because it has been circumvented -- the tone of the licensing assertions sounded deadly serious.

(Yes, I know this is like the blogger who let her cat accept the EULA, but whether that is valid or not would have to depend on how the judge interprets the law. (Again, a vast oversimplification, but you get the idea.))

[snip]
[snip]

--
Cheers,