On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Antonio Scuri <scuri@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>  I'm sorry but what I understood from that page is that we still need to
> use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

There are a series of locations searched by the loader:

"""
      The necessary shared libraries needed by the program are
searched for in the following order

       o      Using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
(LD_AOUT_LIBRARY_PATH for a.out programs).  Except
              if the executable is a setuid/setgid binary, in which
case it is ignored.

       o      From the cache file /etc/ld.so.cache which contains a
compiled list of candidate libraries previ‐
              ously found in the augmented library path.

       o      In the default path /usr/lib, and then /lib.
"""

>  What do you mean by the correct configuration?

Well, if you like to have to define env variables to get your code to
run, go for it, but I'd say that if you install libraries to
/usr/local/lib that ldconfig should be configured to cache the
locations (its configured in /etc/ld.so.conf).

Cheers,
Sam

--
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum,
iudicium difficile.