> however this is the place I would call "lua_to_user" with the
You mean "c_to_user", right?

If I understand your problem correctly, one of many ways to do it. Not the
most elegant, but the easiest to explain that I can think of is:

/*
 * Redirect the output to a temporary file.
 * Run this (not tested) code snippet once during initialization.
 */
lua_getglobal(L, "io")         /* get the io table */
lua_getfield(L, -1, "output")  /* pushes the io.output function onto the
stack */
lua_getfield(L, -2, "tmpfile") /* pushes the io.tmpfile function onto the
stack */
lua_remove(L, -3)              /* remove the io table from the stack */
lua_call(L, 0, 1)              /* call io.tmpfile, returns a file descriptor
*/
lua_call(L, 1, 0)              /* call the io.output function with fd as
argument */

/*
 * Now you may call luaL_dostring anywhere in your program.
 * The stdout is now written to a temporary file.
 */
luaL_dostring(L, txt);

/*
 * Finally write the contents of the temporary file to your user_data
structure
 */
lua_getglobal(L, "io")         /* get the io table */
lua_getfield(L, -1, "read")    /* pushes the io.read function onto the stack
*/
lua_remove(L, -2)              /* remove the io table from the stack */
lua_pushstring("*a")           /* reads the whole file */
lua_call(L, 1, 1)              /* call io.tmpfile, leaves file contents on
stack */
txt = lua_tostring(L, -1);     /* get file contents from the top of the
stack */
c_to_user(usr, txt);
lua_remove(L, -1);             /* remove the string only when finished using
it */

Hope this helps. And don't forget to rewrite your c_to_user function to
check for the string length in order to avoid an overflow.

--
Leonardo Maciel