Thanks, but I think perhaps I wasn't clear enough about my needs; see below:

On Feb 26, 2007, at 1:56 PM, Sam Roberts wrote:

REGISTRY[weakvaluedtable][table] = ptr

^-- probably unnecessary, see below

// from C++ ptr to table:

getfenv(REGISTRY[weakvaluedtable][ptr])

// from table to C++ ptr:

REGISTRY[weakvaluedtable][table]

Why would you would you want to map the table to the ptr?

lua code will have only a udata, and will pass a udata to C code, your C
code will call lua_touserdata() to get the ptr. No table required.

Because I want to call back into the lua State from C++ at a later point in time (after the main Lua chunk has run). That's why I need to
	A) prevent the table being collected until I'm ready
	B) get to the userdata/table from a raw pointer

Optional: if you need to go from udata -> table, maybe to store some
number of lua values with your udata, thats what lua_getfenv() is for.

Yes, but how do I get to the udata from a raw C++ pointer, after the main Lua chunk has run (i.e. in response to a C++ event)?