I would first like to ask, would the "int32 patch" suffice to your needs?

I've had the non-FPU issue on ARM, and that was the way to get it solved. My suggestion would be a float+int32 patched Lua, where you get the best of both worlds. This happens without the script level knowing anything, speed is boosted 2-5 times from that of non- patched, emulated FPU operations.

"trying to protect the sensibilities of their users.." <-- Liked that! ;)
-asko

Integer optimization (non-FPU) patch, revised to Lua 5.1.1

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaPowerPatches