Michael Newberry wrote:
I am showing my ignorance. Why not? If you are going to the degree of
something like

--[****[
]****]

then why can;t you just define two new words in the syntax, which are  [[[
and ]]] ?

The goal is to be able to contain anything within a long string or comment. In what you propose, how could "]]]" be included, for example? To you your example, in 5.1, you can include "]****]" in a comment by using a different number of asteriks:

  --[*****[
    ]****]
  ]*****]

Furthermore, simply allowing an arbitrary number of brackets ("[[[[...]]]]" , "[[[[[...]]]]]", etc.) does not solve the problem because, as Roberto said, you cannot quote something that itself starts and ends with a bracket.

-John

--
http://giftfile.org/  ::  giftfile project