On Thursday 20 May 2004 22:37, Ivan Kolev wrote:
> I realize that
> many people have developed such tools before, and if we joined efforts,
> we might bring closer the idea of Lua as a powerful standalone RAD
> language.

You're right, LuaCheia does badly need more man-hours. Perhaps you should join
and bring the software you've developed with you? It seems like the obvious
focal point for the sort of work you're talking about, and it needs the
critical mass so that people start developing bindings, etc. which work with
LuaCheia rather than a bunch of separate upstream projects which have to be
integrated. Then, hopefully it will become exactly the sort of environment
you are after.

On the object system front, I once had great plans to add a sophisticated
object system system to Lua. It never got past the drawing board, because I
realised that an implementation would be about the same size as Lua itself,
and hopelessly inefficient. I couldn't correct those problems without
removing features which I might want, and I didn't want to write an object
system that I would then be constantly fighting. The thing just didn't adhere
to the 'Lua way'.

In practice, I've found ad-hoc object systems written in 10 lines of code to
be quite adequate (and extensible with particular features as I need them).
Lua provides just enough consistency (if you don't try to be too clever) for
there to be no real compatibility issues between different object systems. On
the other hand, I've likewise given up on waiting for a Lua GUI library to
become useable and started on my own. That will feature a very simple and
very thin dynamic object model which will permit subclassing between C and
Lua. The external interface for the entire GUI library is (presently) 5
functions, 2 macros, and 2 structs.

-- Jamie Webb