I'm a C programmer since 10+ years, and never got to think of this syntax
difference until you mentioned it. To me, clearly separate syntaxes is
better than some that are "close by". In school, learning Swedish and German
at the same time was a challenge since there's so much similarities.

For me, the only "C-like" syntactical thing that I miss (in Lua) is the +=
etc. notations.

- asko