> The main problem is the required recompile of the Lua library to use
LUA_USERSTATE, and the fact that if your compiling more than one
external library that makes use of LUA_USERSTATE you run into problems.
I wouldn't consider this very flexible.

Yeah, that's true. It doesn't really bother me, but I can see how it
would bother some people.

> Speed in accessing the info is needed (in some cases) because your
> usually accessing the custom state info on every wrapper callback.

Well, yeah, agreed, that's why letting the host app manage it ensures
that the app can optimize it how it likes, which Lua can't do in a
general way for all desired forms of user data.

Curt