I just noticed that contrary to what you might expect, if you
pass "nil" as the fourth argument of strfind, it does a plain match.
Looking at the source, str_find indeed simply looks to see whether it
has a fourth argument.

This is rather annoying, as in some other cases where it's nice to be
able to pass "nil" instead of omitting the argument. It would not be
contrary to the 4.0 manual to change this behaviour (the manual says
that if you pass 1 as the fourth arg you get a plain match).

Could this be done?

(I have a slight feeling this might already have been dealt with, but
it's hard to tell, owing to Yahoo Groups's dumb searching that ORs
the search terms by default; is there any way around this?)