Here is a games that I did in 1999.  The important points are:

* you can see it does 41 frames per second with 20 sprites all redrawing
every frame (i.e. no fancy optimizations), that's on a 233 MHz PPC Mac
Powerbook

* the entire game is written in Lua including the sprite engine and
collision detection; there is nothing specific to a game of any sort built
into Lua

* it uses a set of Macintosh C++ classes that I wrote and bound with toLua

* basically it's a framework for writing Macintosh applications in Lua
including sound, midi, windows, masked bitmaps, communication, and file and
memory streams; included is the class hierarchy

* the app is called Slate (because it's a blank slate)

* the framework was not released, maybe I'll make a Carbonized version now

* the framework including Lua is 380k and the external file that implements
the game including graphic and sound resources is 500k

* the game is 400 lines of code

As always Lua amazes.

Russ