Moreover, in environments like ours, we have one source
tree for "external" libraries and packages that are
basically intended to be untouched.  We don't have to
expend any resources (other than diskspace) on documenting
or maintaining "external" packages.

The idea is that if something is in external, it should
be no different than some public package.

If we modify a package in any way, we move it to our
non-external branch and one of our developers is tasked
to be the internal contact for that package and to
maintain "our version" of that package.

Currently, Lua is not in our external tree and the
only reason it is not is because we have to run
a script to add LUA_API and extern "C"'s to header
files.  It would be nice if we didn't have to do
this.

Paul